Piles also called as Hemorrhoids are the swollen veins in and around the walls of rectum and anus. These swollen veins appear as lumps and cause discomfort and pain while passing stools. This inflammation in veins may be due to increased pressure or enlarged varicose veins. Due to excess pressure, the veins while passing bowel movements gets stretched, irritated and also becomes thin and leads to the development of piles. This condition is mainly triggered due to factors like obesity, constipation, unhealthy diet, acidity and so on.
Types of Piles
Piles are classified into two types based on the location of veins that got swollen, they are
- Internal piles- These are the hemorrhoids formed inside the rectum. As there are only few pain sensing nerves present in the rectum, these piles are painless. People cannot feel or see these piles as they are present inside the rectum, but few people experience bright red colour discharge while passing stools.
- External piles- These are the hemorrhoids formed outside the anal passage. One can feel and touch the lump formed outside the anus. These are the painful type of piles and people also experience itchiness around the anus area before and after passing stools. These are not as common as internal piles. In few people, internal piles protrude outside the anus and may develop into external piles.
What causes Piles?
Piles are mainly associated with increased pressure in the veins. Here are few factors which increase pressure in veins and triggers the formation of piles
- Hard stools
- Chronic constipation or Diarrhea
- Low fibre diet
- Straining in the toilet for long periods
- Being obese (Obesity)
Family history, persistent cough and lifting heavy weights are also said to trigger the formation of piles. Conceived women are at a higher risk of developing piles.
What are the signs and symptoms of Piles?
Piles in few cases do not lead to any serious symptoms and get resolved with dietary and lifestyle changes. Whereas, most of the people suffering from piles experience few symptoms like
- Pain and itching around the anus during and after passing stools
- Mucus discharge along with stools
- Bright red colored discharge or hemorrhage
- Feel the presence of lump near the anus
- Burning sensation
- Feeling that bowels are full even after passing stool
The symptoms and severity vary from each individual based on the size and severity of piles.
What are the complications of Piles?
In most of the cases, Piles do not lead to any complications, whereas in few rare and severe cases if left untreated piles leads to complications like
- Loss of control over bowel movements
- Anemia due to excess hemorrhage
- Anal fistula
- Pile cancer
How does Homeopathy help to treat Piles?
Homeopathy treatment works very effectively for both internal and external piles. Homeopathy treatment for piles is based on natural remedies which are safe and non invasive. These remedies are prescribed based on the symptoms and personalized theory. Passionate homeopaths at Homeocare International offer most suitable homeopathic remedies to control your symptoms and piles. Along with treatment, they also suggest a healthy diet plan to control the re-occurrence of piles.